Hood County Texas Genealogical Society



Organized in 1937

Hood County News Centennial Edition - Sept. 23, 1971


Rev. and Mrs. C. S. O'Shields organized the Assembly of God Church in Granbury in August, 1937, when he held a three weeks Open-Air Revival at the location on Houston Street where the Granbury General Hospital is now. Church services were then held in the Jesse Calaham home on North Houston Street near the Granbury Cemetery, for seven months. The church bought land on Barton Street in December 1937 and built a Brush Arbor, and in 1938, a permanent building was built on the site next to the arbor.

In 1944 the church purchased a lot and moved the building to the present location on Lambert Street. At that time the building faced Bridge Street. In 1960 this building was moved to the back of the lot and was used for Sunday School Classrooms, and the present building was erected.

The following is a list of all pastors to the present time:

1937 - 1941

C. S. O'Shields

1941 - 1943

Claude Rozennell

1943 - 1944

Earl Kelley

1944 - 1954

J. F. Owen

1954 - 1955

L. N. Davis

1955 - 1964

J. F. Owen

1964 - 1965

Al Strickland

1965 - 1967

J. M. Buck

1967 - 1969

Floyd Reeves

May 1969

J. C. Amburn, who is currently serving as full time pastor.

Web Page by Virginia Hale