Hood County Texas Genealogical Society
BANKER’S 1907 HOUSE EARNS LANDMARK STATUS
The historic Cogdell House, on Thorp Springs Road, will join 11 other historic structures from future demolitions and change when it becomes the 12th recipient of the city of Granbury Historic Landmark designation.
Owners, Bob and Judy Atkinson, will receive the designation during a special presentation Monday evening.
Jake Caraway, chairman of the Granbury Historic Preservation Commission, and Mary Saltarelli, Granbury’s historic preservation officer, will make the presentation. The ceremony will be part of the Candlelight Tour orientation for volunteers at the Granbury Opera House at 6 p.m. The orientation will be followed by a reception for the Tour volunteers at the visitor’s bureau at 7:30 p.m.
“The members of the Historic Preservation Commission are proud to recognize the architectural and historical significance of the Cogdell House, and to see this community treasure protected for years to come,” stated Caraway. “Both the exquisite architecture of this home and the important contributions of its builder, Daniel C. Cogdell, to our community, make it an important historic site in Granbury.”
The Historic Landmark program strives to protect the architectural integrity of historical buildings and homes. Any changes to Landmark designated buildings must receive a certificate of appropriateness from the city’s Historic Preservation Commission.
According to the city’s Historic Preservation Handbook, a property can be awarded designation as a Granbury Historic Landmark if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
Has been recognized as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark or has been entered into the National Register of Historic Places.
Possesses significance in history, architecture, archeology and culture.
Is associated with the lives of persons significant in our past.
Embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period or method of construction.
Represents the work of a master designer, builder or craftsman.
Represents an established and familiar visual feature of the city.
During the past three years, 11 historic homes have been honored as City of Granbury Historic Landmarks.
The Craftsman-style Cogdell House was built in 1907. Cogdell was one of the founders of the First National Bank of Granbury and served as bank president for 48 years. He was also president of the Hood County Milling Company, a cottonseed oil mill, located near the railroad tracks in Granbury, and president of the Granbury Quarry Company, which produced much of the limestone used to build the historic structures on Granbury’s town square.
He employed three master cabinetmakers to construct his 15-room home, which features copper leading and beveled glass in the windows, original maple wood floors, and rich East Texas pine paneling. Original built-in cabinets with leaded glass windows are featured in the living room, dining room and kitchen. Two old butler’s bells can be found in the home, which were used by the Cogdell family to summon their staff.
2001 HOOD COUNTY TEXAS GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY