[Go back to the TSHA home page] The New Handbook of Texas Online
Home About Search Browse Help Contribute Bookstore Credits

NEMO, TEXAS. Nemo is at the intersection of Farms roads 200 and 199, five miles east of Glen Rose in eastern Somervell County. Settlement of the community may have begun as early as 1858. Originally, it was called Johnson Station after Jimmie Johnson, one of the first settlers to arrive in the area. Postal authorities, however, suggested that a shorter name be submitted. When residents met to choose a name, the story goes, one man stood up and argued for the name Nemo, which he said was Latin for no one. He argued that if Jimmie Johnson's name was not good enough "then no one's was." In 1893 a post office branch was established. Nemo had thirty residents, two churches, three businesses, a school, and a cotton gin. The population increased from thirty-five in 1910 to fifty-six in 1990.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: W. C. Nunn, Somervell: Story of a Texas County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1975). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).

David Minor

 

top of page | about | search | browse | help | home - contribute - bookstore - credits

how to cite this article | report an error or correction | suggest an article topic

The Handbook of Texas Online is a joint project of The General Libraries at the University of Texas at Austin and the Texas State Historical Association.

The Texas State Historical Association, 1997,1998,1999.
Last Updated: February 15, 1999
Comments to: comments@www.tsha.utexas.edu