The Valentine Anglin Family
Quotes from: Oxbows and Calico
By: Twila Gill Wright
Valentine Anglin, Francis Marion Edens, and Pleasant Vincent Rhea ended their days in the town of Granbury, each comfortably well off. Valentine Anglin was a very successful businessman. Following is an excerpt from Oxbows and Calico which relates some of his activities:
"But by the early 1860s the Anglins waved good-bye to their daughter. Mary Elizabeth and F.M. left for the more western regions of Texas. Their destination - Hood County. Although V.S. was a dedicated Southerner, he did not participate in the coming."
"Valentine began to sell his land, deciding to move farther from the battle cries. On September 28, 1867, he and Elizabeth sold 718 acres in Anderson County, including 200 acres of the original Anglin patent land, and 400 acres on which they lived near Fields Chapel, plus 118 acres elsewhere. Mrs. Mary Foster of Caddo Parish, Louisiana bought it all for $12,206 cash. (DBk L p116)
"It was a sad parting as they told their older family members good-bye, and loaded their most necessary possessions in wagons. Elizabeth packed her finest dishes and bedding, and once again ventured into the frontier, only this time she was almost fifty gears old, and their wagons formed a small caravan.
"They traveled the route their daughter had taken, stopping at Elisha Anglin's place in Limestone County, leaving behind the tall timber and green hills, for rolling hills and scrub trees.. At last on the east bank of the Brazos River in Johnson Gounty (a part of which later became Hood County), they were reunited with their daughter and her husband.
"Once again V.S. bought land and built a house, but this time he had many laborers to help him. Perhaps it was built of logs and native limestone. They planted craps and harvested them, establishing their life pattern again. The Civil War came to a close, and news swept the country that General Lee had surrendered at Appomatox.
"Valentine called his slaves together and told them the news. He wished them well in their new life of freedom. Jude and Bill Steward begged to stay, so he began to pay them wages and kept them as long as he lived. Their children stayed with the Anglins for many years, and took their name. (There are Negro Anglins listed in Granbury, Hood County, Texas records: Alf, Judy, and Gospel, from 1867 to 1884.)
"Shortly after they arrived V.S.. gave his daughter Mary Elizabeth Edens 160 acres on the west side of the Brazos River to be kept as her separate possession. She and her husband, F.M., lived on it for almost two decades. The deed was registered on March 28, 1866. (DBk A p3)"
Within the next decade the Anglins were busy establishing their farm, investing their money, and gathering some comforts about them. Life had a fresh modern touch about it. Over the next years V.S. became even more involved in the buying and selling of land, making over 30 transactions which were recorded in the new Hood County courthouse. He bought 125 acres for $500. near Falls Creek Church in 1871 (DBk B p331), and 31 acres on Falls Creek, bordering the prairie in 1876 for $62. For $1,000 he bought 165 more acres in 1877, and 145 acres of the Hardin survey land, fronting on the east side of the Brazos River in 1881. Then in 1887 he bought 13 acres which were subdivided from Granbury lot 52 of Milan County school survey land (behind the present library). He bought 160 acres on Walnut Creek, about seven miles east of Granbury for $300. This was next to the Acton Methodist Episcopal Church, South."
"Church was a vital part of the Anglins' life. V.S. acted as a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Acton Cir- cuit, Weatherford District, Northwest Texas Annual Conference, and accepted a deed to acreage on which a school, parsonage, and burial ground were later placed, next to the church, on August 22, 1874.
Iin a good business move, V.S. bought Granbury city lot number 7, block 5, just off the public square. He encouraged a private bank to be built on the northwest corner, which included his lot. The bank was incorporated as The First National Bank of Granbury in 1887. As a major share-holder he was elected as one of the eight trustees on the first Board of Directors of the bank, signing its incorporation document. He continued to be a stock holder all his life.
"V.S. also served on the board to select a site and establish an academy in Granbury. .On January 8, 1887 this high school became a chartered college.
"That same year the railroad came to Granbury, joining Fort Worth and Brownwood. By this time Valentine and Elizabeth had moved into the city of Granbury and built a fine frame house just north of the town (lot 107). Several other prosperous citizens built large homes in that area. Every morning at 5 A.M. they could hear the train's whistle as it pulled out of town, a modern sound to two people who had awakened most of their mornings to the sound of birds singing in the wilderness.
"In April of 1887 the Anglins sold a portion of block 52 in Granbury, containing over 8 acres, to M.L. Sikes, probably their son-in-law, for $1,000. Valentine remained to the end of his life a shrewd businessman, having an understanding of how to successfully make money, while also being responsible in supporting public institutions."
"Elizabeth enjoyed having her daughter and son-in-law, Mary and F.M., living next door to them in town. Grandchildren and great- grandchildren dashed in and out of the big house. She kept busy baking, sewing, and preparing food for her aging husband.
"It was sad to watch her strong, intelligent husband grow weaker with age and disease. On September 1, 1895 Valentine S. Anglin breathed his last. He died just ten days before his 82nd birth- day. Elizabeth was suddenly alone, desperately missing her hus- band of more than a half-century.
"A horse-drawn black hearse carried his body out north of town, across Lambert Branch, and up the hill overlooking the growing city of Granbury. A minister read from the Bible and offered comforting words to the family. Valentine's grave was then closed.
"Elizabeth had a three foot high white marble tombstone placed at its head, facing east on which was inscribed: