Hood County Texas Genealogical
GRANBURY UNIVERSITY TRAINING SCHOOL
Contributed by Tommye Hiler
Hood County Genealogical Society Newsletter No. 12 –
Granbury University Training
the summer of 1877, the District Conference of the Methodist Church met in
Acton. Part of the business of this
conference was to decide on the location of a District High School, to be built
by the church.
this time Weatherford was the largest town in the district and everyone
supposed the school would be located there.
However, others who were not in favor of Weatherford as a site for the
school had been making plans prior to the meeting and went before the
Conference with their ideas. They
presented plans and promoted Granbury for the school location. The Methodists were convinced of Granbury’s
possibilities and benefits, so the school was established.
building committee composed of V.S. Anglin, C.H. Blake, and P.H. Thrash was
appointed. Their task was to choose a
building site, draw up plans and build the school. The conference also selected a Board of Trustees who were J.R.
Morris, James Hiner, Judge Thomason, Thomas Ewell, V.S. Anglin, B.F. Williams,
with the Rev. James Jones to serve as President of the Board and to manage the
school was scheduled to open in September 1873, and as there was no building
planned, a rock building on the southeast corner of the square was used. The president was Rev. W.P. Wilson.
small frame building was constructed and was used for several sessions. The growth of the school made it necessary
to erect larger quarters. The city of
Granbury had raised the money to build a large stone structure on the hill
where Granbury Cemetery is now located.
The school was 42 x 62 feet and was three stories tall.
July 6, 1875 the high school had grown sufficiently to become a chartered
college. A fire on January 8, 1887
destroyed the inside of the building, including the library, furniture and
other material. The loss was estimated
new and larger building was built on almost the same site. The new school was 62 x 80 feet and was also
three stories tall.
construction created a considerable debt for the college. Citizens of Granbury, aware of the
importance of education, took charge and once more raised funds to finish
publication of the College printed these notes in January, 1888:
institution opens on the first Monday of September of each year and continues
for ten scholastic months. The school
is graded from the Primary Department through the Intermediate and Preparatory
to the Collegiate. The Collegiate
includes a course of four years. Rate
of Tuition per term of four months, Primary, $8.00; Intermediate, $10.00;
Preparatory, $12.50; Collegiate, $17.00.
Board (including lights, fuel, etc.) per week, $2.50 to $7.00; washing
and ironing per month, $1.00
mild and firm; commodious buildings; competent faculty in every department;
good society; healthful location; daily stage (except Sunday) from Cleburne
and Weatherford. For catalogue,
address the Secretary.
S. Switzer, President
J. Moore, Secretary
February 24, 1890, a new charter was adopted which provided for a board of
fifteen trustees, with life tenure, appointed by the Bishop of the Church
Conference. The college continued
serving this area until 1912 when it was moved to Weatherford. The old building was torn down in 1913, and
the stones were used to build the Methodist Church in Granbury. This building was torn down in 1965.
Return To Home Page